Affordable Inventory and Order Management Software to manage customers, sales order processing, multi-currency accounting, inventory, and vendors – all joined up smoothly with workflow optimization.
Talk to an expert about streamlined order and inventory management for wholesalers, drop shippers and ecommerce.
Book a no obligation demo, trial, and quote TODAY.
Working with Roles
Roles allows you to manage system access to your users – (i.e. Workers)
By assigning a Role to a worker, the functionality and data available to them is determined.
The Role defines the permissions for creating, editing and viewing documents owned by you, as well as those owned by other members of your organisation, such as only being able to view documents created by yourself.
More permissions can be specified relative to Team members or specific Offices as defined in the Worker document.
Specify approval permissions for Timesheets, Expense Claims as well as Sales Orders and Purchase Orders.
Specify which category of Reports a Worker can run.
The Role defines the nodes (i.e. Folders) available in the Explorer and the Shortcuts visible to the Worker. See Introducing the User Interface.
The User Interface can be tailored to be appropriate to the type of activity the Worker will be involved in. If certain staff members must be able to fill in Timesheets and Expenses, create a Time/Expense Role to only show the Time/Expense Explorer node, with the Timesheets and Expenses Shortcuts.
Similarly for an accountant, configure a Role to display all folders relating to Accounting/Reporting but not Products/Services and Sales Forecasting.
The Role ‘Administrator’ is available by default and cannot be edited or deleted. The Administrator Role allows complete access to all data and functionality.
How to create a new Role
- From the Explorer click Setup->Roles,
- The current list of Roles is displayed.
- Click ‘Create New‘ .
- A new Role Document is displayed (as shown below).
Once the Role has been created it can be assigned to a Worker from the Worker’s Login Details tab (see below).
Each Tab is described below.
Determines the permissions on each Document. The permissions tab has 4 sections:
1. Ownership Permissions
Any Document that are owned by a particular owner, has an ‘Owner’ field. Here permissions is specified for creating, editing and viewing Documents, depending on who owns them.
For each type of Document, a row of permission values allows you to specify permissions for different types of owner (as shown below).
From the picture above each document that has an associated owner (in this case Memo and Lead) can be assigned permissions as follows:
- YOU: Actions that the Worker assigned this Role can perform. In the above example a Worker with this Role can Create, Edit and View Memos and Contacts, but can only view Expense Claims owned by him or her.
- OTHERS: These are the actions available on Documents owned by other Workers. In this example, Memos may be viewed and edited, Contacts can only be viewed and Expense Claims cannot be edited or viewed.
- YOUR TEAM: It may be useful to split permissions by Team. For example you may want to see all Leads assigned to members of your Team. The Team is specified in the Worker’s associated Team field.
- YOUR OFFICE: In a similar way to Team you may want to allow permissions based on a Worker’s Office. For example, I may want to see all Sales Invoices from a particular Office. The Office is specified in the Worker’s associated Office field.
- NOT OWNED: If the Owner field of a particular Document is blank it is deemed to be Not Owned. These are actions available for Documents that are Not Owned. This is useful when, for example, you wish to have a queue of Leads that initially have no owner and you want Workers to subsequently take ownership and work with the Lead.
- TAKING OWNERSHIP: All Documents that have an Owner also have an action ‘Take Ownership’. Clicking this action will assign ownership of the document to the Worker. This drop-down specifies from which Owner you will be permitted to take ownership from. In the example, you can take ownership from Memos owned by anybody, but you can only take ownership of Contacts and Leads that are Not Owned.
2. Approval Permissions
The next section allows you to specify if the Worker has permission to approve certain Documents, namely Expense Claims, Timesheets, Sales Orders and Purchase Orders. For more information on Documents approval see one of:
- Submitting and Approving Expense Claims
- Submitting and Approving Timesheets
- Submitting and Approving Sales Orders
- Submitting and Approving Purchase Orders
3. Sales Forecast Permissions
Choose from the drop-down menu to allow the Worker to produce either ‘Personal’, ‘Team’ or ‘Full’ Sales Forecasts. See Working with Sales Forecasts.
4. Reporting Permissions
Specify which category of Report the Worker is allowed to Run. Tick the boxes of the permitted categories. Note that if a Report is memorized, the memorized report will be subject to the same permissions as the original.
Explorer Folder and Shortcuts Tabs
Allows specification of which Explorer Folders and Shortcuts will be visible to the Worker. The user interface is thereby specifically crafted for the Role. For the Time/Expense Role only the Expenses and Timesheets Folders and Shortcuts are displayed (as shown below).