Special orders result from Purchase Orders initiated by an incoming Sales Order. Your Supplier ships the products directly to you. You then ship the products to your Customer and then send them your invoice. Your Supplier sends you their invoice. The system can execute and track this entire process.
Following Item types can be set to trigger special orders:
- Assembly Items,
- Service and
Set Item to default to Special Order
On the Purchasing | Costs tab of each Item, you can set the default behavior of each Item to special order.
|Default Order Type||Standard|
When you add an Item set to Special Order, on the Line Item table of a Sales Order or Sales Quote, the letter S will be displayed to the left of the Item Code.
Set Special Order Item default Supplier
Preferred Supplier(s) can be stored on the Preferred Supplier table on the Purchasing | Costs tab on the Item Master. This table stores:
|Supplier||A Supplier from your Suppliers List.|
|Item Code||The Supplier’s part / SKU code. This code will appear on the Purchasing Documents.|
|Unit Cost||The last cost. Manually entered.|
|Stock||Suppliers last known stock level.|
|Minimum Order Quantity||The supplier’s threshold.|
|Average Lead Time||In days.|
|Use on Docs||Use this data on Purchase Documents.|
|Default||The default preferred supplier.|
Change Item to Special Order, or a different Supplier
You can access and manipulate the preferred supplier from the Action Preferred Suppliers on the Sales Quote and Sales Order Documents.
This is useful if you need to Special Order a Standard Item (one you don’t normally Special Order).
When the Document is not in Edit mode
When you click the Preferred Supplier Action, a modal (popup) window will appear:
In the above example the Document has two line Items in the Line Item table. DEF345 is set to Special Order. The Preferred Suppliers for the Items are displayed as View only.
When the Document is in Edit mode
You can select and change the Item preferred supplier.
You can select and change the Item Default Order Type . In the above example Item DEF345 is set to Special Order.
Set preferred suppliers costs on Sales Orders for Dropship and Special Order
SALES > Sales Order > Configure > Dropship | Special Order
The purpose of this control is to determine where the unit cost is derived and applied from, specifically:
- The unit cost specified on the preferred supplier table located on the Purchasing tab of the respective Item Master.
- The arbitrary cost on the Sales Order. A typical use case is where you are brokering the sale of an Item. You agree on a cost with the supplier, back to back with agreeing on a cost with the end customer.
- The unit cost specified by you on the respective Item Master.
List and Create Special Orders in bulk from the Sales Order List
Special Orders are used to order Items to be shipped to you and then shipped onward to the customer.
To create Special Orders from Sales Order List, go to:
SALES > Sales Orders > Drop Ship
Using Drop Ship option you can:
- List Special Orders: List all Special Orders.
- List Special Orders (No PO): List of Special Orders for which no Purchase Orders has been generated.
- Create Special Orders for selected orders.
- Create Invoices (Bill received): Create Purchase Invoices for selected orders.