To upload Contacts, you must first upload your Customers and Suppliers.
Customers and Suppliers are Trading Partners. Every Trading Partner most likely will have a list of Contacts. Types of contacts are:
- Billing address
- Shipping Address
- Payment Address
Some Contacts are none of the above, they’re just a Contact. For example, a Sales Order will most probably have three Contacts:
- The purchasing contact i.e. the individual or main contact who placed the order.
- The billing contact and address i.e. the individual or department responsible for paying you.
- The shipping address.
Similarly, a Purchase Order will most probably have three Contacts:
- The purchasing contact i.e. the individual or main contact in your business who placed the order.
- The payment contact and address i.e. the individual or department responsible for paying the supplier.
- The shipping address.
If you need to extend the Contact master to enable you to add additional fields in which you can store data, then please refer to Using Customization.
Cleaning and checking for duplicates
Importing your Contacts
As is the case in any import task, you should try to successfully import a single contact into Salesorder.com before you upload all of your Contacts.
To import contacts, go to:
- SETUP > Import data
- Go to Contacts section and Download Template.
- This is a .xlsx file. If you don’t have Microsoft Excel installed, don’t worry. You can upload the Contacts template to Google Drive, open the file with Sheets, populate the file and download it as a .XLSX file.
- If you use this method then we’ve seen cases where the dropdown information embedded in some columns can stop working in Google Sheets. If this happens just refer to the Dropdown data sheet in the excel template for the correct values and syntax.
- Pay attention to the Address Type column. Make sure you enter the appropriate type in here i.e. Billing, Shipping or Payment.
- Make sure you read the notes on the columns (mouse over the column name).
- Paste the data from your old systems into the corresponding columns in the import template.
- To import the template, go to SETUP > Import data > Contacts section > Upload Data action.
- Verify the imported data in Salesorder.
- If you encounter any errors which you cannot resolve by ‘divide and conquer’ then please contact email@example.com.
- We have also seen problems that prevent imports which can be caused by unusual sequences of characters (i.e. $ ; ?) in import data.If you think this is the problem then please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.